Were there those times when you put on your thinking cap and a lot of lofty and innovative ideas starts to pour in? Then, when it’s time to recollect them for reconsideration and execution, alas, they had fizzled out. It’s because you had no checklist.
There are many great managerial and administrative planning to do just before long vacation. Pre-vacation rubric helps to come handy for recollection of progress ideas, so that, you can have some time to recuperate the 3 terms stress
What’s a checklist?
A checklist is a comprehensive list of to-do, thought out, written down or documentation. Such to-do may be in form of plans, strategies, approaches, change or activities listed. The listed items are striked out as soon as each is achieved.
A checklist is a precautionary and proactive tool of planning for effective and efficient job execution.
Therefore, PRE-VACATION CHECKLIST for educators is a well thought out and written down list of of plans, strategies, approaches, change or activities that a school wishes to undertake during Summer break and during the new session.
Checklist can be best prepared through brainstorming with staff or at top management level. If prepared through brainstorming session with staff it should be carried for ratification at the management level. If prepared at the management level it should be taken down to the staff for confirmation.
HOW MUCH CAN YOUR BRAIN RETAIN?
Many people, particularly as they get older, have concerns about short-term memory problems: going to another room to do something and then forgetting why they’re there; deciding to do something, becoming distracted by another task, and then forgetting the original intention; uncertainty about whether you have just performed a routine task; forgetting things you’ve said or done seconds after having said or done them; thinking of something you want to say during a conversation, then forgetting what it was by the time it’s your turn to speak, and so on.
Progress or innovative ideas can pop up at the strangest times but they tend to not stay for long in your head. So, you need to capture them fast or they are gone in the wind.
One thing about a lot of very successful self improved writers – Anthony Robbins, Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar and so on – is that, they possess written ideas.
A written idea brings clarity and focus. It gives you a direction. And by rewriting your goals you not only reaffirm what your goals are. A written idea on checklist is also a powerful reminder that you can use to keep yourself on the right track when you feel stressed and may consider making hasty decisions.
Your checklist can be in soft (electronic) or hard copy format.
- Hardcopy format medium are year planner, sticky notes, paper calendar, jotter, etc
- Electronic format medium are Google calendar, phone apps, etc
BENEFITS OF HAVING A CHECKLIST
- It clears your mind and readies it for decision-making.
- It gives you a record of your development.
- You gain a sense of fulfillment.
- It helps you to enter the unknown.
- When you write things down, you set a process in motion, you enter a world of possibility.
- It helps you to take action: There is something about writing thoughts down and not just living with them in your head that solidifies them. They stare up at you on that page you thumbtacked them from the bulletin board across your office.
- Checklist makes room for higher levels of thinking to take place: By getting the details and the thoughts are out of your head on a regular basis, you make room for better and higher-level thoughts.
- Checklist helps you to feel like you’ve accomplished something.
- Writing helps you create a routine in your life
A checklist is a type of job aid used to reduce failure by compensating for potential limits of human memory and attention. It helps to ensure consistency and completeness in carrying out a task.
A more elaborate checklist would be a schedule, which lays out tasks to be done according to time of day or other factors. The primary task in a checklist is documentation of the task and auditing against the documentation.
As great ideas pops up in your head around this time, write it down – turn it to a checklist!
Courtesy: EDU-NORMS Consulting Nigeria